Toffee Crunch Ice Cream
I grew up on a farm where we had fresh eggs, milk and cream, so we often made homemade ice cream. Many years later, I'm back on a small farm where we have fresh eggs and I'm making ice cream again.
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min.+ chilling Process 20 min. + freezing
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ounces German sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces each), crushed
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a saucepan, combine the egg, sugar and salt. Gradually add milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° and
- coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Whisk in
- chocolate, then add cream, coffee and vanilla. Refrigerate for at
- least 2 hours.
- Fold in candy and nuts. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze
- according to manufacturer's directions. Allow to ripen in ice cream
- freezer or firm up in the freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.
- Yield: 6 servings (3 cups).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 362 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium,