Toasted Veggie Sandwich
"The article 'Serve a Salad...from Your Garden' in the Apr/May '02 issue motivated me to share one of my family's favorite veggie sandwiches," writes Gail Nonamaker of Saluda, North Carolina. "Best when made with fresh garden ingredients, this sandwich is low in fat, packed with vitamins and is a meal by itself when served with a glass of milk. For variety, try substituting kale, Swiss chard or da
1 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 teaspoon fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 2 slices rye bread
- 1 slice (1 ounce) reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh spinach
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard on each slice of bread. On one piece of
- bread, layer a half slice of cheese, carrot, onion, sauerkraut,
- spinach and remaining cheese. Cover with second piece of bread.
- Spray both sides of sandwich with refrigerated butter-flavored
- spray. In a small nonstick skillet, toast sandwich over medium heat
- until bread is browned on both sides. Yield: 1 serving.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 290 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 727 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.