Toasted Apple-Cheese Sandwiches
Here's a nice change of pace from traditional grilled cheese sandwiches. Most people are pleasantly surprised at the combination of ingredients. The apple, cheese and bacon really complement each other.Evelyn Bartolomei, Santa Rosa, California
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 6 slices white or French bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored and cut into six rings
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- In a broiler, toast one side of each slice of bread. Spread untoasted
- side with mayonnaise. Top with cheese and apple; sprinkle with brown
- sugar. Cross two strips of bacon over each. Broil 6 in. from the
- heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 306 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 539 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.