Three-Fruit Sundae Sauce
We brought back some from a trip to Wisconsin, and I wanted to make something besides pie. I dreamed up this bright-red sauce that blends rhubarb with strawberries, oranges, cinnamon and lemon peel. It's wonderful over vanilla ice cream. -Sharron Trefren
Grand Bay, Alabama
56 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 cups chopped fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sweetened sliced strawberries
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, rhubarb,
- strawberries, oranges and lemon peel until blended. Stir in the
- water and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Cool. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve over
- ice cream.
- Yield: 7 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 36 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.