When I was growing up, my mother prepared many different soups, each seasoned just right. She often made this colorful combination that's chock-full of harvest-fresh goodness. It showcases an appealing assortment of beans, potatoes, carrots and spinach.
-Valerie Lee, Snellville, Georgia
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped fresh spinach
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil. Add the next nine ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender. Add beans and
- spinach; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) equals 169 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium,