- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook garlic in oil 1 minute. Stir
- in tomatoes, olives, basil, capers, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45-60 minutes or until
- Meanwhile, for eggplant, place flour and eggs in separate shallow
- bowls. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs, garlic powder and
- oregano. Dip eggplant in flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in oil for 5 minutes on
- each side or until tender. Drain on paper towels. In a large bowl,
- combine the eggs, ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, basil and
- Preheat oven to 350°. In each of two greased 13x9-in. baking
- dishes, layer 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce, four eggplant slices, 1 cup
- ricotta mixture and 2 cups mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Sprinkle each with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 35-40
- minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield:
- 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 562 calories, 38 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 138 mg cholesterol, 778 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.