Texas Beef Stew
This easy and delicious stew is one of my newer recipes, but it's quickly become a favorite. Almost everything we cook in our house has a Mexican flavor.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1-1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook beef until no longer pink,
- adding oil if desired; drain. Add onion, garlic powder, pepper and
- water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes
- or until meat is almost tender.
- Add tomatoes, cumin and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until meat is tender. Yield: 4
- servings (1 quart).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 239 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 782 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot