Tempting Tomato Cups
"For as long as I can remember, I've eaten this pretty salad in the summer when fresh tomatoes are so good," recalls Carla Browning of Fort Walton Beach, Florida. "Brimming with a crunchy filling, it makes a wonderful light lunch or can replace a green salad at dinner."
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Sliced ripe olives, optional
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/4-in.-thick
- shell, scoop out pulp (discard pulp or save for another use). Invert
- tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, celery, green pepper,
- onion, mayonnaise, garlic salt if desired and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with olives
- if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with low-sodium saltines and fat-free mayonnaise and without garlic salt and olives) equals 129 calories, 284 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 25 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 2 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.