Tart Cherry Soup
Neva Arthur of New Berlin, Wisconsin spices up her sweet-tart soup with a hint of cinnamon. Serve this refreshing chilled concoction as a light first course...or for dessert, topped with a dollop of nonfat yogurt or reduced-fat whipped topping.
4 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) water-packed pitted tart cherries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 lime slices
- Place the cherries in a blender or food processor; cover and process
- until finely chopped. Transfer to a saucepan; add the orange juice,
- sugar, lime juice, peel and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Refrigerate until chilled. Garnish
- with lime slices. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 198 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fruit.