Tart 'n' Tangy Vegetables
We have a long growing season here, so we find many ways to use fresh vegetables from our garden. This is a Southern favorite in my family that is both easy and flavorful.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 4 small cucumbers, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- In a 1-1/2-qt. bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, pepper and
- salt. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth;
- bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to
- vinegar mixture.
- Stir in the cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots. Cover and refrigerate
- for at least 4 hours or overnight. Discard spice bag before serving.
- Yield: 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 76 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 85 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.