Tarragon-Almond Green Beans
A hint of balsamic vinegar gives a fresh taste to this simple side shared by Glenda Malan. "Sliced almonds dress up green beans tastefully when company's coming," she relates from Lake Forest, California. "I can't think of an entree this dish doesn't complement."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender;
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil
- until onions are tender. Add the vinegar, sugar, tarragon and salt.
- Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Drain beans;
- add to onion mixture. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle
- with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 93 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,