For a light and lovely “something sweet” to cap off your meal, try this creamy dessert from Katie Anderson in Spokane, Washington. “To make it look extra-special, I sometimes sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg or a few sliced berries,” Katie says.
TIP: Tapioca will keep indefinitely if it’s stored airtight in a cool dry place.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, tapioca, egg yolk and salt;
- let stand for 5 minutes. Cook and stir over medium heat until
- mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Cool slightly. Spoon into serving dishes. Cover and refrigerate
- until chilled. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1/2 cup equals 176 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 reduced-fat milk.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.