Tangy Reuben Bake
My husband's background is Czech, so just about everyone in the family loves sauerkraut especially in this casserole. When I want a bit more zip, I add a third cup of sliced green pepper. My daughter won a purple ribbon at the state fair with this recipe.Jewell Kronaizl, Vermillion, South Dakota
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced and cooked
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Transfer to a greased
- 8-in. square baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 527 calories, 32 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 1,433 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer