Tangy Onion Flowers
"These flavorful baked onions are a great accompaniment to grilled meat," writes field editor Karen Owen of Rising Sun, Indiana. "They aren't crisp like the deep-fried 'blooming onions' served in restaurants, but we think they are equally delicious."
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 large sweet onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed fat-free salad croutons
- Place the onions root end up on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave,
- uncovered, on high for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Invert
- onto a cutting board. Slice each onion into eight wedges to within
- 1/2 in. of bottom; fan out. Place each onion on a 12-in. square
- piece of foil coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, brown sugar, oregano, salt and
- pepper. Brush some over onions; set remaining mixture aside. Fold
- foil around onions; seal tightly.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until
- tender. Open foil carefully. Place onions on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with remaining vinegar mixture; sprinkle with croutons.
- Yield: 4 onions (8 servings).
Nutrition Facts: One serving (half of an onion) equals 48 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 203 mg sodium,