Tangerine Tossed Salad
I learned to cook from my mother when I was a young girl. I like the combination of sweet tangerines and crunchy caramelized almonds in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 medium tangerines or navel orange
- 6 cups torn lettuce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, cook and stir the almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar
- over medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the sugar is melted
- and the almonds are toasted. Remove from the heat. Peel and section
- the tangerines, reserving 1 tablespoon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, onions, tangerines and almonds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, reserved
- juice and remaining sugar. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 138 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.