- For filling, in a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder and
- salt; beat in water, 2 cups pan juices and shortening just until
- combined (bowl will be full). Refrigerate remaining pan juices.
- Drain corn husks and pat dry. (Until ready to use, keep husks covered
- with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent them from drying out.)
- Spread 3 tablespoons filling over each husk to within 1/4 in. of
- edges. Top each with 1/4 cup pork and 3 tablespoons filling. Using
- the husk to lift one long side, roll up filling. Enclose filling
- with husk; fold bottom end of husk over the top.
- In a large steamer basket, position tamales upright with folded
- bottoms down. Place basket in a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water.
- Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 25-30 minutes or until cornmeal
- peels away from husk, adding water to pan as needed. Warm reserved
- pan juices; serve with tamales. Remove husks before eating. Yield:
- 32 tamales.
Editor’s Note: Look for chilies, cornmeal and corn husks in the ethnic aisle of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 543 calories, 28 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 865 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.