Taffy Apple Salad
Kids especially will eat up this salad, which really does taste like a taffy apple! My whole family enjoys it, and I hope you do, too.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) DOLE® Crushed Pineapple in 100% Pineapple Juice
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups diced unpeeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups lightly salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine pineapple
- and marshmallows; cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- In a saucepan, combine the egg, sugars, flour, vinegar and reserved
- pineapple juice; cook and stir until mixture thickens and reaches
- 160°. Remove from the heat; cool. Cover and refrigerate.
- Fold whipped topping into the chilled dressing. Add the apples and
- peanuts to the pineapple and marshmallows. Fold dressing into fruit
- mixture. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 315 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium,