Swiss Steak Supper
The satisfying slow-cooked dinner comes from Kathleen Romaniuk of Laval, Quebec. TIP: "To save a step, I keep peppered seasoned salt on hand to use instead of the seasoned salt and pepper," Kathleen notes.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 jar (12 ounces) home-style beef gravy
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Cut steak into six serving-size pieces; flatten to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Rub with seasoned salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown beef in
- oil on both sides; drain.
- Cut each potato into eight wedges. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the
- potatoes, carrots, beef and onion. Combine tomatoes and gravy; pour
- over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are
- tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 402 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 822 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.