Swiss Mushroom Chicken
This entree is easy to prepare but looks and tastes special enough for company and special-occasion suppers. Everyone enjoys the golden chicken breasts topped with ham, melted Swiss cheese and fresh mushrooms.Jan Baxter, Humarock, Massachusetts
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices deli ham or thinly sliced hard salami
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat
- the egg. Combine cracker crumbs and salt in another shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs; set aside.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter
- until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, cook
- chicken over medium heat in remaining butter for 3-4 minutes on each
- side or until no longer pink.
- Top each chicken breast half with a ham slice, mushrooms and a cheese
- slice. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese
- is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 343 calories, 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 956 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.