Swiss Cheese Salad
I entered this recipe that I created myself in a local cooking contest in 1980 - it took first prize! The salad complements any main dish and is also good for picnics or potlucks...just take the lettuce along in a plastic bag or container and toss with the cheese and vegetable mixture when you arrive.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a small bowl, combine onions, celery, green pepper and olives. In
- another bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour over vegetables and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, place lettuce in a large salad bowl; add the
- cheese and dressing with vegetables. Toss lightly. Yield: 6-8
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 237 calories, 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.