Swiss Cheese Meat Loaf
I saw this recipe on a TV show on Amish cooking in the 1980s, and I've adapted it to suit our tastes. The Swiss cheese and bacon make it very satisfying on cold fall and winter evenings.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 bacon strip, cut into thirds
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 8 crackers)
- 5 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side
- or until cooked but not crisp. Drain on a paper towel; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, crackers, 4 tablespoons cheese, onion,
- garlic, salt, sage and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix
- well. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x
- 2-in. loaf pan. Place bacon pieces over top. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 2-4
- minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and cheese
- is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 pound) equals 420 calories, 26 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 199 mg cholesterol, 627 mg sodium,