Sweetheart Meat Loaf
I serve this heart-shaped meat loaf at least twice a month or whenever someone needs cheering up. Ground turkey and vegetables are nice additions. - Terri Hairston, Mansfield, Ohio
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 small green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Additional ketchup
- In a blender or food processor, combine the carrots, celery, green
- pepper and onion; cover and process until pureed. In a large bowl,
- combine the eggs, mustard, ketchup, cracker crumbs and vegetable
- puree. Crumble meat over the mixture and mix well. On a greased
- broiler pan, pat meat mixture into a heart shape, about 1 in. thick.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; top with
- additional ketchup. Bake 20 minutes longer or until the meat is no
- longer pink. Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.