Sweet and Sour Spareribs
Just the tempting aroma of these ribs reminds me of many simple but delicious meals mom made. Dad especially loved these tender tasty ribs with their thick, tangy sauce. Mom liked them because the sauce was no fuss to make.
Ruth Ann Stelfox, Raymond, Alberta
5-6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 5 to 6 pounds pork spareribs or pork loin back ribs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Place ribs on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, brown sugar,
- cornstarch, ketchup, vinegar and water until smooth. Bring to a
- boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove ribs
- and rack from pan. Drain and discard fat. Return ribs to roasting
- pan; drizzle 1-1/2 cups sauce over ribs. Bake 30 minutes longer. Cut
- ribs into serving-size pieces; brush with remaining sauce. Yield: 5
- to 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 pound) equals 887 calories, 53 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 213 mg cholesterol, 646 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 52 g protein.