Sweet-and-Sour Pot Roast
I grew up on a farm, and we ate beef often. I was so pleased to find this recipe 15 years ago, since it gives pot roast a new mouthwatering flavor. I'm always looking for no-fuss delicious meals, and this slow-cooked supper is definitely one of them.Erica Warkentin, Dundas, Ontario
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 12 small white potatoes, peeled
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Trim fat from roast; cut in
- half. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer
- to slow cooker.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion in reserved drippings
- until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire
- sauce, vinegar and salt. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Before
- serving, pour sauce into a skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high
- heat until reduced and thickened. Serve with potatoes and beef.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 518 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 661 mg sodium,