Sweet-and-Sour Baked Beans
This recipe has proven to be a great standby for parties, barbecues and potlucks. I especially like it because I can keep all the ingredients on hand for last-minute preparation.
18-20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) New England-style baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Discard
- all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add onions, brown sugar, vinegar
- and mustard to drippings; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring
- frequently. Stir in beans and bacon.
- Pour into an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 167 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 397 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.