Sweet and Savory Stuffing
Thanks to bacon, apple and sage, this stuffing bursts with delightful flavors. Make it for the holidays, but you’ll be tempted to have it during the week, too! Sharon Ferrante - Mifflintown, PA
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 large tart apple, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon
- is crisp. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the stuffing cubes, apple,
- parsley, sage, salt and pepper. Stir in enough broth to reach
- desired moistness.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 7 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 238 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 708 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.