Sweet-Sour Spinach Salad
The L&T tasting panel loved this full-flavored contribution from Jennifer Cain. "When I tasted this tangy salad at a cookout, I immediately asked for the recipe," she writes from Bel Air, Maryland. "Even after I pared it down and added veggies, it was still a hit!"
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, water chestnuts, squash,
- mushrooms, garbanzo beans and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, ketchup, water, vinegar,
- garlic and salt. Pour over spinach mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle
- with bacon. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 133 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 247 mg sodium,