Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage
THE FIRST TIME I bought a red cabbage, I didn't quite know what to do with it, but after some experimenting, I came up with this recipe. It has now become my fall "comfort food".
This side dish is compatible with a variety of meat entrees, but I especially like it with a pork roast or chops.
-Karen Gorman, Gunnison, Colorado
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, caraway and celery
- seeds; set aside. Place cabbage and onion in a saucepan; add a small
- amount of water. Cover and steam until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar mixture; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve
- warm. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 60 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.