Sweet-Sour Pasta Salad
Fresh garden vegetables add color and crunch to this attractive salad. Its pleasant vinaigrette-type dressing is sparked with ground mustard and garlic. I like the look of the tricolor spirals, but you can substitute other pasta shapes or use what you have on hand.
-Launa Shoemaker, Landrum, South Carolina
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) tricolor spiral pasta
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold
- water. Place in a large serving bowl. Stir in the onion, tomato,
- cucumber, green pepper and parsley; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the dressing ingredients. Cook over
- medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Pour
- over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared with artificial sweetener equivalent to 1-1/2 cups sugar and without salt) equals 137 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5 mg sodium,