Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips
Allspice, garlic and sweet onion season roasted sweet potatoes and parsnips in this hearty harvesttime dish.
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 4 medium parsnips (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise into
- four pieces, then into 3-in. slices. Cut parsnips into quarters,
- then into 3-in. pieces. Place the potatoes, parsnips and onion in a
- 3-qt. microwave-safe baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1
- to 1-1/2 minutes; stir. Cover and cook 30 seconds longer or until
- vegetables are crisp tender. Add remaining ingredients; toss to
- coat. Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated
- with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes
- or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 10
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 169 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.