Sweet Potato Stuffed Apples
I inherited this recipe for baked dessert apples from my grandmother and make it every chance I get, especially in fall.
5 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 5 medium tart apples
- 1 can (15 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, divided
- Core apples and scoop out pulp, forming a 2-in. cavity; discard
- seeds. Chop pulp; place in a bowl. Add the sweet potatoes, brown
- sugar, syrup, butter, cinnamon, salt and 1 tablespoon almonds. Spoon
- into apples; sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender. Yield: 5
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 269 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 157 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 2 g protein.