- and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into the sweet
- potato mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg
- and salt; add to potato mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans. Pour
- into three greased and lightly floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to
- wire racks.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the
- sugar, milk and eggs yolks until smooth. Add butter; cook, whisking
- constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal
- spoon, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the
- coconut, pecans and vanilla. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the
- frosting. Repeat layers. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 941 calories, 61 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 166 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 95 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein.