Sweet Potato Delight
“My family wouldn’t dream of a Thanksgiving dinner without this side dish, but it’s great anytime—I serve it once a month.” The fluffy texture and subtle orange flavor make it a standout. —Marlene Kroll, Chicago, Illinois
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or just until
- tender. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Stir in the
- orange marmalade, orange juice, brown sugar and extract. Cool
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into
- sweet potato mixture. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated
- with cooking spray. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 174 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 36 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.