Sweet Potato Biscuits
Flaky and bursting with flavor from honey and sweet potatoes, these biscuits are wonderful any time, but they’re best right from the oven. —DeLynne Rutledge, Lovelady, Texas
17 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the
- sweet potato, milk and honey just until moistened. Turn onto a
- lightly floured surface; knead 5-8 times. Pat out to 1/2-in.
- thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for
- 14-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 17
Nutrition Facts: 1 biscuit equals 120 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.