Sweet Potato Biscuits
This was one of my great-grandmother's favorite recipes. I'm 87, so you can bet this recipe has stood the test of time! I like to make these biscuits often during winter since they're a good complement to any hearty meal...very tasty when served hot with butter!
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening and sweet
- potatoes until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough milk
- just until dough clings together. Knead lightly on a floured
- Roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. biscuit cutter and
- place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 12
- minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 115 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.