Sweet Potato Apple Scallop
"My cousin, Ann Smith, gave me the recipe for this wonderful dish, which makes traditional Thanksgiving sweet potatoes a bit more special," writes Sarah Joyce of Bedford, Texas. Apple slices and a crunchy pecan topping dress up the seasonal spuds.
7 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil; cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cut apples into 1/4-in.
- rings; cut in half. Arrange over sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with lemon
- Combine the brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and
- orange extract; sprinkle over apples. Dot with butter. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Yield: 7 servings.