Sweet Pickled Asparagus
“Here in Washington, we enjoy lots of fresh asparagus in the spring. This is how my grandmother used to pickle it,” writes Valerie Giesbrecht of Othello.
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Process: 20 min. + standing
- 10 pounds fresh asparagus
- 5 tablespoons dill seed
- 5 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- Wash, drain and trim asparagus; cut into 5-3/4-in. spears (discard
- ends or save for another use). Pack asparagus into five 1-qt. jars
- to within 1/2 in. of top. Place 1 tablespoon dill seed and 1
- teaspoon pickling spices in each jar.
- In a Dutch oven, bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil.
- Carefully ladle hot liquid over asparagus mixture, leaving 1/2-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- Yield: 5 quarts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (4 each) equals 63 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,429 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.