Sweet N Sour Beans
This recipe is popular on both sides of the border. It came from a friend in Alaska, then traveled with me to old Mexico, where I lived for 5 years, and is now a potluck favorite in my Arkansas community. It's easy to keep the beans warm and serve from a slow cooker.
-Barbara Short, Mena, Arkansas
15-20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- with slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons
- drippings. Saute onions in the drippings until tender. Add brown
- sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine beans and peas. Add onion mixture and
- bacon; mix well. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until
- heated through. Yield: 15-20 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 210 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium,