Sweet 'n' Spicy Roasted Corn
In Bryan, Texas, Erin Littlefield saves herself the trouble of husking those ears of sweet corn she brings to family picnics and get-togethers with this scrumptious grilling technique. “My husband came up with the sweet and spicy glaze,“ she confides. “It tastes really good, looks beautiful with the flecks of red pepper and requires much less butter than folks generally use.“
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + soaking Grill: 25 min.
- 6 large ears sweet corn in husks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Carefully peel back corn husks to within 1 in. of bottom; remove
- silk. Rewrap corn in husks and secure with kitchen string. Soak corn
- in cold water for 1 hour.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and
- lightly coat the grill rack. Grill corn, covered, over medium heat
- for 25-30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove
- string before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add the garlic, brown
- sugar, red pepper flakes and chili powder. Serve with grilled corn.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 ear of corn equals 163 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.