Sweet 'n' Saucy Sausage Sandwiches
“You can prepare this simple dinner on short notice and it’s tasty anytime,” writes Linda Eggers of Albany, California. This flavorful sandwich will hit the spot and fill you up!
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup ginger ale
- 1/3 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 French roll, split
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the sausage, onion and green pepper over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ginger
- ale, chili sauce, preserves and soup mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened,
- stirring occasionally.
- Place roll halves, cut side up, on an ungreased baking sheet; top
- with sausage mixture and cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2
- minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 open-faced sandwich (prepared with Italian turkey sausage and reduced-fat cheddar cheese) equals 461 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 1,859 mg sodium,