Swedish Apple Pie
This hearty and decadent apple pie serves up homemade flavor in every bite. The blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flours offers more fiber and less fat than traditional pie crust. This is perfect with coffee or as an after dinner treat. —Sarah Klier, Grand Rapids, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium tart apples, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flours, baking powder, salt and
- cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk egg and vanilla. Stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at
- 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if
- desired. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 174 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,