No one ever guesses the "secret ingredient" in this recipe that I created. A can of mushroom soup is what makes the chili so thick and creamy. Take this spicy concoction to a fall potluck or church dinner, and watch folks warm up to it!
-Elizabeth Mays, Nunnelly, Tennessee
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the sausage and beef over
- medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30
- minutes or until heated through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 292 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 974 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 17 g protein.