Sunshine State Salad
My husband and I retired from central Illinois to Florida over 13 years ago. Several times, a friend gave us grapefruit from his backyard tree. One day I was going to make a lemon pineapple gelatin salad and discovered I didn't have pineapple. So, I cut up a fresh grapefruit and used it in the salad. It was good, and I tried adding other fruits until I came up with this recipe.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (8 ounces) DOLE® Pineapple Chunks in 100% Pineapple Juice, undrained
- 1 large grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and diced
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Drain pineapple,
- reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add cold water to juice to
- measure 1 cup; stir into gelatin mixture. Chill until partially set.
- Stir in grapefruit, apple, pecans and pineapple; pour into a
- 1-1/2-qt. bowl. Chill until firm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with sugar-free gelatin and unsweetened pineapple) equals 65 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.