Sunday Chicken Supper
Ruthann Martin from Louisville, Ohio makes this slow-cooked sensation with chicken, vegetables and seasonings. "It's a hearty, homespun dish that satisfies the biggest appetites," she says.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 5 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch pepper
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the first seven ingredients in order
- listed. In a small bowl, combine the water, bouillon, salt, thyme,
- basil and pepper; pour over the top. Do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender
- and chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and vegetables. Thicken
- cooking juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 510 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 1,262 mg sodium,