Summer Veggie Sandwiches
A few ingredients make for a standout sandwich perfect for lunch or supper. Add bacon or turkey if you prefer. —Mary Lou Timpson, Colorado City, Arizona
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 3/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1 medium ripe California Avocado, peeled and mashed
- Spread cream cheese over four slices of bread; layer with cucumber
- and sprouts. Combine oil and vinegar; drizzle over sprouts. Layer
- with tomato, lettuce and pepperoncini. Spread avocado over remaining
- bread; place over top. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 sandwich equals 356 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 11 g protein.