Summer Sub Sandwich
"Being originally from the Northeast, we love submarine sandwiches," shares Jennifer of Concord, Ohio. "So I came up with this hearty ham-and-cheese combination that's good either hot or cold."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices fully cooked ham
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 banana peppers, thinly sliced
- Cut the loaf of bread in half horizontally. Spread bottom half with
- cream cheese; layer with the ham, provolone and mushrooms. Replace
- Cut loaf in half. Cover and microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or
- until cheese is melted. Remove top; add the lettuce, tomatoes, onion
- and peppers. Replace top. Cut into serving-size pieces. Yield: 4
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with a 1100 watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 638 calories, 25 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 1,756 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 35 g protein.