Summer Squash Medley
“This dish is delicious as a side, but you can also add some cooked chicken or turkey sausage and serve it over rice for a complete meal.” Jennifer Leighty — West Salem, Ohio
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, squash and green pepper
- in oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and pepper
- flakes if desired; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup calculated without crushed red pepper flakes equals equals 61 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 403 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.