Sugared Mixed Nuts
"I have made many different kinds of candied nuts over the years, but we like these best," relates Betty Claycomb of Alverton, Pennsylvania. "The buttermilk prevents them from becoming too sweet."
32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups mixed nuts
- Line two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans with foil; butter the
- foil with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside. In a large heavy
- saucepan, combine the sugar, buttermilk and baking soda. Cook over
- medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 236° (soft-ball
- stage), stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in nuts and remaining butter. Spread in a single layer in
- prepared pans. Cool; break apart.
- Yield: 8 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 169 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.