Stuffed Peppers for Two
MY HUSBAND likes stuffed peppers, but my old recipe made too much. I devised this recipe to accommodate just the two of us. It helps to use a small-size casserole so the peppers won't tip over while baking.
For color, I serve steamed carrots with the peppers, rounding out the meal perfectly. Elaine Carpenter
2 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cut tops off peppers and discard; remove seeds. Blanch peppers in
- boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set
- aside. In a bowl, combine beef, 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, rice, 2
- tablespoons of cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and
- egg; mix well. Stuff the peppers; place in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt.
- baking dish. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until meat is no longer pink
- and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; return to
- the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 405 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 193 mg cholesterol, 1,277 mg sodium,