- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture
- alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating well after each
- addition. Stir in chocolate. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until
- stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks; gently peel off waxed paper.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in jam. Spread between layers and over
- top of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 732 calories, 36 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 154 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 99 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.